Principal - Anouska Gardner
Principal - Anouska Gardner


Safeguarding Support

Help outside of School

You will have been given an information card with useful contact information to provide support and contact information when not at school. If you would like one, they are available at the school reception desk.


AKT (@aktcharity)

AKT supports LGBT+ young people experiencing  homelessness or living in hostile environments to find safe homes, employment, education or training and to celebrate their identities in order to improve their life outcomes.



Free, confidential helpline for anyone who is concerned about their drinking, or someone else’s. Helpline: 0300 123 1110 (weekdays 9am–8pm, weekends 11am–4pm). alcohol support services  

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) – Helpline: 0800 917 7650


Online self harm group who support young people 11-19yrs. The course runs weekly, on an evening, over a 7 week period and is supported by trained counsellors and youth workers.


A charity which provides information on self harm  

Battle Scars – Home (Battle Scars


Eating Disorder Information: 0808 801 0711

Be Aware information on Exploitation  NYSCP –


Practical help and advice for children and adults 

dealing with bullying at school or work.

The National Bullying Helpline: 0845 22 55 787 Open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service.

Cafcass is the voice of children in the family courts and helps to ensure that children’s welfare is put first during proceedings.

Cafcass call centre number: 0300 456 4000

CAMHS Crisis

0800 0516171

Community child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS).Single Point of Access (SPA): 01904 615345. 7 days a week, 10am-10pm

Child Employment

Restrictions on child employment

There are several restrictions on when and where children are allowed to work.

Children are not allowed to work:

  • without an employment permit issued by the education department of the local council, if this is required by local bylaws
  • in places like a factory or industrial site
  • during school hours
  • before 7am or after 7pm
  • for more than one hour before school (unless local bylaws allow it)
  • for more than 4 hours without taking a break of at least 1 hour
  • in any work that may be harmful to their health, well-being or education
  • without having a 2-week break from any work during the school holidays in each calendar year

There are also special rules which only apply during term times and school holiday times.

Term time rules

During term time children can only work a maximum of 12 hours a week. This includes:

  • a maximum of 2 hours on school days and Sundays
  • a maximum of 5 hours on Saturdays for 13 to 14-year-olds, or 8 hours for 15 to 16-year-olds

School holiday rules

During school holidays 13 to 14-year-olds are only allowed to work a maximum of 25 hours a week. This includes:

  • a maximum of 5 hours on weekdays and Saturdays
  • a maximum of 2 hours on Sunday

During school holidays 15 to 16-year-olds can only work a maximum of 35 hours a week. This includes:

  • a maximum of 8 hours on weekdays and Saturdays
  • a maximum of 2 hours on Sunday

Local rules on the types of work children can do

Local bylaws list the jobs that children cannot do. If a job is on this list, a child under the minimum school leaving age cannot do this work.

Local bylaws may also have other restrictions on working hours, conditions of work and the type of employment.

Contact your local council’s education department or education welfare service for more information.

Child Employment Permit link:


0800 1111 

Free 24-hour helpline for children and young people in the UK.

There is also an online chat –

Children and Family Care
Worried about a child? – If you are worried about a child or a young person under 19, you should contact the children and young people’s service. All calls are taken seriously and can be taken in confidence.In an emergency, always ring 999. Referrals to Safeguarding, Early Help and Healthy Child Team.Children & Families Service: Call: 01609 780780

Compass Phoenix

0800 008 7452

Compass Phoenix aims to improve the mental health and wellbeing of children and young people aged 5-18 (25 with SEND) in schools across North Yorkshire.

Text: 07520 631168

Tel: 01904 661916     Freephone: 0800 008 7452     Email:

Buzz Us is a text messaging service for young people aged 11-18 who live in North Yorkshire.

County Lines

County Lines – drug dealing
“County Lines” is the term used to describe a form of organised crime where criminals based in urban areas pressurise vulnerable people and children to transport, store and sell drugs in smaller county towns. It takes its name from the phone lines used by organised crime gangs to communicate between towns.

An issue of concern in North Yorkshire is the practice of “cuckooing” where county lines drug dealers take over a vulnerable person’s home to store their drugs and cash and use it as base for dealing drugs.

Child Criminal Exploitation
Similar to child sexual exploitation, any young person could be at risk of being targeted by drug gangs, but some are particularly susceptible including those without a stable home life, who’ve experienced domestic violence, parental drug abuse or criminality, social isolation or exclusion, homelessness or insecure accommodation, learning or physical disability, mental health problems, associations with criminality or being in care, particularly a disrupted history of care.

Report to the Police: Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if the crime is in progress.

Call 101 to contact the police if the crime is not an emergency.

nationalcrimeagency: county lines county lines drug dealing

Cruse – provide bereavement support, information.

You can call us for free on 0808 808 1677.


Opening hours

  • Monday: 9.30am-5pm
  • Tuesday: 9.30am-8pm
  • Wednesday: 9.30am-8pm
  • Thursday: 9.30am-8pm
  • Friday: 9.30am-5pm
  • Saturday : 10am-2pm
  • Sunday: 10am-2pm

Extremism & Radicalisation & Prevent Strategy 

This website gives parents, teachers and school leaders practical advice on protecting children from extremism and radicalisation. Information for parents:

educateagainsthate: advice & support

Please click here for information on The Prevent Strategy


Female Genital mutilation (FGM)

Female genital mutilation is illegal. We’ve got advice to help you keep children and young people safe. If you are worried about someone who is at risk of FGM or has had FGM, you must share this information with the Children and Families Service or the Police. FGM

Information on FGM National FGM leaflet


Drugs information: 0300 123 6600

Gender Intelligence(@genderintelligence)

Gender Intelligence runs a number of youth groups that welcome trans, non-binary, gender variant and questioning young people. Gender Intelligence also hosts a camping weekend and offers resources on their website.

The Go-To

Healthy minds in North Yorkshire

The Go-To Mini Market Place

HEALTHY CHILD TEAM: 01609 780780

The 5-19 Healthy Child Service is a progressive universal programme which includes universal services appropriate for all children and young people, and additional services for those with specific needs and risk factors. The 5-19 Healthy Child Service works in community settings to deliver universal and targeted interventions designed to meet public health outcomes and ensure the emotional and physical health and wellbeing of families, children and young people across North Yorkshire are met.The 5-19 Healthy Child Service is the first point of contact for schools when there are concerns about a child’s health and wellbeing. Professionals can refer families to the service by completing the “Referral to Children and Family Service” form or by calling the Customer Resolution Centre single point of contact on 01609 780780. Parents, carers and young people themselves can access the service for support and information by calling the Customer Resolution Centre single point of contact on 01609 780780.

Home Alone

NSPCC Guidance on “Is my child ready to be left alone?”

There is no legal age at which children may be left home alone, but parents can be prosecuted for neglect if it puts them at risk of injury or suffering.

NSPCC Home Alone Guide

Mermaids (@mermaidsgender)

Mermaids supports children and young people who are gender diverse as well as their families and professionals involved in theri care. They operate a number of services for young people and their parents across the UK. Helpline: 0808 801 0400 Health Charity

Information line: 0300 123 3393

The Mix

0800 808 4994

Free information and support for under 25s in the UK. Get advice about sex, relationships, drugs, mental health, money & jobs. Chat about any issue on the moderated discussion boards and live chat room.

R;pple is an online nudge technique which consists of a powerful message of hope, as well as providing a selection of mental health support resources in a range of different communicative options (call, text, webchat, self-help app, pocket resources). Through R;pple, an individual feeling despair and researching harmful content will be urged to instead seek mental health support they deserve and need in a way that works best for them.

HEALTH: NHS 111 is here to make it easier and quicker for patients to get the right advice or treatment they need, be that for their physical or mental health. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

To get help from NHS 111, you can:

  • Go online to (for assessment of people aged 5 and over)
  • Call 111 for free from a landline or mobile phone.


Helpline: 0800 800 5000

Specialises in child protection and the prevention of cruelty to children.



Offers free courses for parents & teenagers.

The passcode is NYFamilies to access these courses for free.


Helpline: 0800 068 41 41

Charity for the prevention of young suicide, offering confidential support and awareness training.


Police: Call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or if the crime is in progress

Call 101 to contact the police if the crime is not an emergency

You can also contact Crimestoppers to report a crime anonymously.  They will pass the information about the crime to the police. Crimestoppers: Telephone: 0800 555 111

Report It: Whilst the police deal with many types of issues, there are some things that they handle, and that are best reported to other agencies (for example, your local council).  The list below will help you to identify the best people to call to deal with  your problem.

Road Safety

Students need to walk, cycle and play safely without supervision. They also need to understand how to be safer passengers in vehicles, including on school buses, and then, if they learn, how to be safe motorbike riders and car drivers’.

Students need to study their road safety.

A – Awareness
B – Behaviour
C – Choice

For further information on road safety visit:


Call 116 123 for free, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Emotional support for anyone feeling down, experiencing distress or struggling to cope.

Selby Food Bank

Tel: 01757 703426



Text shout to 85258

Shout is the UK’s first and only free, confidential, 24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope.


Smokefree: NHS Smoking

Helpline: 0800 169 0169

Stonewall (@stonewalluk)

Stonewall is one of the UKs best known LGBT+ organisations. Their ‘ What’s in My Area?’ page allows you to see what LGBT+ services and community groups are local to you by putting in your postcode.


Switchboard (@switchboardlgbt)

Switchboard is an information, support and referral service for LGBT+ people and anyone considering issues around the sexuality  and/or gender identity  Helpline: 0300 330 0630

Yorkshire County Council

Young Carers

Young carers are people under 18 who offer substantial, regular, help to a parent, grandparent, brother or sister who has a disability or mental health, drug or alcohol issues. To find out about support services –

Young Minds

020 7089 5050 (general enquiries)

0808 802 5544 (parents helpline, for any adult with concerns about the mental health of a child or young person)

National charity committed to improving the mental health of all babies, children and young people. Provides information for both parents and young people.